Thursday, April 14, 2005

An Update On T's Bond Hearing

Tomorrow was supposed to be the day that T had her bond hearing, where she would be allowed to be released, and, if so, how much money it was going to cost her family in the short term. It's been postponed, so she's going to have to be in jail, separated from her mother and the rest of her family for a long while without even having a chance at contesting it. I will send more updated information as to the next date and whatever other information I can responsibly provide as soon as I can, and I'll put up another post with more information about bond hearings shortly.

Thank you to everyone who sent in letters of support for T--along with Tas at Loaded Mouth and individual efforts by people, we generated about 60 letters in support of T. That might not sound like a lot, but given the incredibly short timeframe (the alert went up last night at about 1:40 a.m. for a 5 p.m. deadline), I think it's a real testament to how much people care. And don't worry, we're going to try to make productive use of these letters as T's case progresses.

Obviously, the vigil, which was centered around the bond hearing, has also been postponed. I will let you know more specifics once we find out. However, T's family still needs assistance. If you can pledge some funds to help them and A's family (and, if you're willing, to more generally provide detainees with funds), please let us know by e-mail and send a check to CAIR-NY / Emergency Family Fund.

And of course, if you're willing to contribute more generally to the organizations that do this work so that they can help, advocate for, and organize the millions of others in the United States (which includes both deportation proceedings and their loved ones), that would be great. We'll have links up to those organizations up shortly on the sidebar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Прошу прощения, это не весь то, сколько мне нужно. Который кроме, который может подсказать? [url=]алтайский строительный портал[/url]